Placentia

Placentia

Placentia - Latin for "a pleasant place" - has retained the small town image that has remained since settlers arrived more than 100 years ago.

After it was incorporated in 1926, Placentia was known as the "baby city," - the smallest in Orange County.

Despite its diminutive size, Placentia is where the county's lifeblood and namesake - the Valencia orange - first took hold. Although Orange founder Alfred B. Chapman imported the first Valencia orange trees, it was on Placentia soil that the first commercial grove was planted in 1880.

Like many other Orange County towns Placentia has been transformed from an agricultural area where residents worked their own land to a bedroom community where most residents leave the city to work. A few vestiges of the old lifestyle (notably small orange groves scattered throughout the city) remain, but most of the groves already are doomed to make way for further development.

Legend has it that Sarah Jane McFadden, wife of William McFadden (one of the town's earliest residents) named Placentia in 1879, but no one is sure how she came up with the name. There already were several towns names Placentia, including one in Newfoundland, Canada, one in Maine and one in ancient Rome.

Earlier, Daniel Kraemer started the influx of settlers to Placentia in 1865, when he purchased 3,900 acres of a land grant made in 1837 to Juan Pacifico Ontiveros.

Ontiveros' grant covered what now is Anaheim, Brea, Fullerton and Placentia, and Ontiveros lived in an adobe home he built near the intersection of today's Crowther Avenue and Kraemer Boulevard. The adobe, which had been the oldest continuously occupied residence in Orange County, was destroyed in the late 1970s to make way for development.

Kraemer bought some of the Ontiveros land and moved into the adobe, and other settlers soon began moving in, including the McFaddens.

Crops at first included walnuts, vegetables and "poorer qualities of oranges," but in 1880 Richard Gilman planted the first commercial Valencia orange grove in the county on his ranch in east Placentia. The Valencia orange became the major crop in the county - eventually contributing to the county's name.

Although the disease know as "quick decline" wiped out orange groves in entire area cities, it was the population explosion in the 1950s, '60s and '70s that effectively ended Placentia's orange-packing business.

Oil also played a part in Placentia's history. The Union Oil Co. discovered oil in 1919 on C.C. Chapman's land in northeast Placentia, and Samuel Kraemer, Daniels' son, also found oil on his property. This led to Placentia's first population boom.

Based on information from California Regional Multiple Listing Service, Inc. as of Jun 12, 2024 10:17:am. This information is for your personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties you may be interested in purchasing. Display of MLS data is usually deemed reliable but is NOT guaranteed accurate by the MLS. Buyers are responsible for verifying the accuracy of all information and should investigate the data themselves or retain appropriate professionals. Information from sources other than the Listing Agent may have been included in the MLS data. Unless otherwise specified in writing, Broker/Agent has not and will not verify any information obtained from other sources. The Broker/Agent providing the information contained herein may or may not have been the Listing and/or Selling Agent.